Sunday, September 7, 2014

The path to better health.

Like I said in the previous post, I really could write an essay about my sugar-free two weeks. This is NOT the essay, but really a summary of some of the things we've been up to health-wise the last 6 or 7 weeks. When Mollie hit her 2 month mark I decided I was done being heavier than I had been post-pregnancy with any of my kids. I started my sugar-free 2 weeks to jump start my body. Rules were naturally occuring sugars were allowed (honey, pure maple syrup, fruit) but processed (refined sugars, corn syrup) had to be cut. It was a big shock. I didn't feel so good the first few days and was really surprised how much stuff sugar and corn syrup were in. Soon though, I really came to enjoy it. I felt less bogged done, could think clearer and just enjoyed how I felt. Not tied down to a 3 pm sugar-pick-me-up. We did get a little sick acclimating back to the sugary world we live in. I think, for me, I have learned to cut out the condiments and eat whole foods more and less treats, although home-made treats, even with the white sugar and brown sugar are still hard to pass up. 
pineapple and coconut milk popsicle. Not as sweet as store-bought but wonderful for those cravings.
One of the biggest things that helped me was a documentary on Netflix called, "Hungry for Change." It was very well done and inspiring. They talk about small changes. What can I do to make this meal one step better? How can I improve what I am choosing to eat today? Or, my favorite: I can have it, I just don't want it.
Our garden, full of those whole-foods.

I started experimenting with some different foods, which really was a good thing. Couscous, quinoa, and brown rice came into our lives.

curried couscous with almonds, zucchini, carrots, and yum.
enchilada quinoa bake, don't even miss the meat on this one.
From our garden. Strawberries as big as your face!

You know what else I introduced myself to? Juicing. It's a thing and a thing I have become fond of.


It makes things like these.....





Out of things like these....




Sometimes I think, yep, definitely wouldn't have eaten all of that but just drank it in a cup.

  Needless to say, I have a long ways to go, but I feel a lot better most days and more energetic. There are some great resources and we really are blessed to live in a country where good, healthy food is so readily available for a price very comparable to the junk we so often eat. We stopped at McDonalds on our way home from Utah and I was SICK after eating there. God gave us these amazing bodies and it's amazing what they are capable of, even more so when we take care of them. I'll stay off my soap box but I am so glad to be feeling and eating better in the process.

5 comments:

Savanna said...

Sounds like something I need to do! And we live in Utah. You should stop in sometime!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Yay! Eating healthy is the best. I need to do better too especially with sugar. Great post.

stefanie said...

Yum.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the challenge: I was so glad I did it. I had been thinking a lot about what I was putting in me, esp trying to figure out what is causing certain health issues, but I appreciate the push to just get going. I can't believe all the junk that is in basic stuff that you never thought was that bad. I think I NEED a juicer... yum!

Liz said...

I think I would have like the pink juice better!